Monday, November 11, 2013



Happy Birthday, Kurt Vonnegut.  He would have been 91 today.  I'm not one to remember birthdays of folks who have passed.  I don't even remember how old my 80-some year old grandmother is and she lives with me.  I think being raised by your grandparents might make a person a bit afraid of age.  I like to think of Barb (my grandmother) as in her 40's or as a spring chicken as she would say.  Anyway, I discovered that it was Vonnegut's birthday today by way of a nice little article from Huffington Post.  This bit of birthday news made me smile.  I just thank goodness Vonnegut was born.

The painting above is inspired by a book jacket shot by Vonnegut's daughter, Edie Vonnegut.  I have been posting my Vonnegut illustrations for a while now.  I am just about finished with the whole thing.  You can view the ongoing project on flickr.  I am also happy to report that the project will be on display at the Vonnegut Memorial Library in Indianapolis this January.  I will write more on that soon.  For now, I'll end today's post with a favorite quote...

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — God damn it, you’ve got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut - God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

No comments:

Post a Comment